Wednesday 20 January 2016

Single: Perhapsy - All My Soul Swallowed

Perhapsy All My Soul Swallowed Single



Perhapsy - 'All My Soul Swallowed'


Info: There's something in the water in Oakland, California, something very creative as I seem to be receiving an endless stream of amazing music from the city the past 12 months. The latest comes from Bells Atlas and Astronauts, etc. guitarist Derek Barber who goes by the name Perhapsy. 'All My Soul Swallowed' is the first single from his upcoming sophomore solo album, Me Tie Dough-ty Walker which is due March 3rd.

Perhaps unbeknown to Perhapsy (!) the opening of 'All My Soul Swallowed' was like a 90's trans-Atlantic indie cocktail of bands like The Strokes and Sterephonics in terms of the guitar. As his vocals make their way into the song it takes on a more shoe-gaze hue, the first one that struck me was one of his admitted influences of Sonic Youth, but also Oxford band Ride with a bit more oomph. It's a lot different to the music made with his aforementioned bands, more upbeat and residing in a very separate mix of genres. As the various music lines come together in a subtle crescendo towards the track's end you feel a certain joy, at times straight-forward, 'All My Soul Swallowed' is incredibly gratifying during it's just-shy-of 4 minutes duration. Bring on the album.
Perhapsy All My Soul Swallowed
Like / Listen & Follow: