Thursday 4 May 2017

Single: Conor Furlong - Right

Conor Furlong Right



Conor Furlong - Right


Info: Dublin solo act Conor Furlong is an interesting one, a cursory browse of his SoundCloud page tells us he has been writing and producing his own music for at least six years, and the diversity of sounds is impressive. 

"Paintings and films often influence me as much as music. The works of Monet, Miro, Dali, Hundertwasser, Van Gogh and others are extremely inspiring. They have often made me want to create songs that could in some way compliment the visuals created by those geniuses. I am a huge fan of the films of Hitchcock, and the music Bernard Herrmann composed for his films. The score Herrmann composed for “Vertigo” is a major influence.


I adore making music. I love creating melody and arrangements that serve the songs. Very few things in life give me the joy I feel when I think I’ve created something of which I can be proud."

Last week Furlong released his latest single, 'Right', the first thing that struck me was how his vocal reminded me of Mercury Rev's Jonathan Donahue, but also, in conjunction with the music, 'Right' led me to recall Moby's 'God Moving Over The Face Of The Waters' from his 1995 album, Everything Is Wrong. As the track progresses you cease to notice Furlong's vocal, and this is a good thing, if that makes sense, you have been so subsumed by the entire soundscape he has created that his voice becomes a guiding whisper in the far distance. I get the sense that he has a full box of tricks he's just waiting to unleash on us.


Look / Like / Listen & Follow: