Thursday 7 March 2019

New Album Releases: March - Andrew Bird, White Denim, Apparat, Beth Gibbons, Foals & more

Andrew Bird - Sisyphus


New album releases are now fully in swing for 2019, the numbers are many each week, so I'll keep browsing and condensing to try my best to put the cream of the crop (IMHO!) in your earphones between now and the end of the year. 

Fun anecdote to start with, shortly after they released their debut album, the unreal Workout Holiday, in 2008, a young(er) Remy emailed White Denim, it was cringe on my behalf, but basically I told them I'd just bought their album, I was a huge fan, and would they becoming to Ireland anytime soon? A really polite reply came back from frontman James Petralli, which, for comedic purposes, more or less said; "Wellll, we just played there a few weeks ago", thus bursting my super-fan persona. A nice thing to note from the exchange though was that the band said they would be back in Ireland, depending on how the album goes. 8 albums later, and I couldn't tell you how many times they've played shows and festivals here. Anyway, their latest album Side Effects is out at the end of this month on the 29th March, and here we feature single 'Shanalala' which is probably their most Workout Holiday single in 11 years. 

A couple of years before that I was getting into Andrew Bird in a big way, particularly Weather Systems (2003) and Armchair Apocrphya (2007), in particular again, single 'Heretics' off the latter. It feels like new album My Finest Work Yet, may be just that, reminiscent of Sufjan Stevens' recent storming of the Bastille, Carrie & Lowell in terms of masterful song-writing, 'Sisyphus' speaks for itself I think.


I'm also excited about the new Apparat, CFCF and Foals albums based on the singles released to date, not to mention Animal Collective's Avey Tare who releases his sixth solo album.

Oh, and there's one more thing, no singles have been released from it yet so I can't post it here, but this will probably be the masterpiece album of the year, Beth Gibbons & the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Henryk Górecki: Symphony No. 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs). There's a version of one of the tracks that I think will be performed by the Portishead chanteuse on the album at the end of the above playlist and below sung by Dawn Upshaw, I, can, not, wait.




1st March:

CFCF - Liquid Colours


8th March:

Foals - Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost Part 1

Sigrid - Sucker Punch


15th March:

The Faint - Egowerk


22nd March:

Andrew Bird - My Finest Work

Apparat - LP5 

Avey Tare - Cows On Hourglass Pond


29th March:

Beth Gibbons & the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra - Henryk Górecki: Symphony No. 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs)

C Duncan - Health

Ty Segall - Deforming Lobes

White Denim - Side Effects