Saturday 6 December 2014

We Were Giants, 'All I Want', New Single

We Were Giants All I Want



We Were Giants, 'All I Want'


Info: Dublin band We Were Giants released their debut E.P., Part One, in 2012 which received much airplay and acclaim from critics, following which they completed a 2013 tour of Germany and were also selected to play at Welsh music festival FOCUS earlier this year. Yesterday saw the release of their new single, 'All I Want' (above) and now Colm (Vocals/Guitar), Ste (Guitar/Vocals), Danny (Bass) and Jay (Drums) are ready to perform on live radio sessions on both Roddie Cleere's Irish Music Show (KCLR 96FM, 7th Dec.), on Irish Beats with Rob O'Connor (Beat 102-103FM, 14th Dec.) as well as a live show on The Chandelier Sessions at the Attic Bar in Swords (11th Dec.).

While I'd certainly heard of We Were Giants a number of times I'd never heard their debut E.P. until today and there are some really great tracks on it, it also struck me that there was quite a contrast between them and 'All I Want', insofar as they are a bit heavier. That said, this is only the first song from their full album which will be released in 2015 and I'm sure there will be tracks in a similar vein to 'Vampires' and 'WarWren'. 'All I Want' definitely indicates an advancement in We Were Giants development and I found it to be a thoroughly pleasing listen from start to finish. I also thought there was peculiar strands of Sigur Rós in the final minute and a half of the track and wasn't surprised to see the Icelandic band mentioned as one of their influences on their website. The melding of intense drums, piano and soaring guitars as well as some ethereal vocal effects work very well together in bringing you to the songs operatic climax. A few more singles like 'All I Want' and it's hard not to see We Were Giants becoming one of the bands at the forefront of Irish music as well as attaining success overseas.



We Were Giants, 'Part One' E.P.


Look / Like / Follow / Listen: